Tuesday, September 27, 2011

FWSQAL

Homeward Bound, Calico Puzzle, Kitchen Woodbox and  Snowball are my latest blocks to finish.
I have decided to put a 1" white border around each block and then alternate those with red and blue pinwheel FourX blocks.  It does not show very well in the picture but my light colored fabric in the 6 1/2 inch blocks isn't white - it's a light tan with tiny blue stars.  I am going to use a straight setting instead of on point - but I like the illusion of on point blocks that the pinwheels FourXs create.



I may not be able to make all of the (complicated) blocks so I guess I am not really doing a Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt. This is no big surprise to me as it seems like I always change something as I go along no matter how much I start out wanting to follow a pattern.

Edit - my alternate red/blue blocks are not pinwheels. In EQ5 they are called FourX

signatureblog
As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. [Proverbs 23:7]

2 comments:

Kaisievic said...

Looking lovely so far. Well done!

Hugs, Kaye
xoxox

Starwood Quilter said...

I am not making all of my blocks 6 inches square. They range in size from 6" to 12". I have added other blocks that I felt should be included in my quilt. I think most of us quilters enjoy being creative with fabric as well as with the pattern. I am thrilled that you are venturing outside the box to create your own, individual quilt!

Here's one of my blocks that was not included in the original Farmer's Wife Quilt. I didn't like the Farmer's Puzzle block so substituted a different one. (It looks too much like a swastika!)

http://starwoodquilter.blogspot.com/2011/08/school-girls-puzzle-quilt-block.html