Grandma’s Orange Cookies
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (I substitute 1 T lemon juice mixed into 1 cup whole milk)
3 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 large navel orange - see note
Mix sugar and shortening until well blended then mix in eggs one at a time.
1 cup shortening
3 eggs
1 cup buttermilk (I substitute 1 T lemon juice mixed into 1 cup whole milk)
3 3/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 large navel orange - see note
Mix sugar and shortening until well blended then mix in eggs one at a time.
Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
Add buttermilk and dry ingredients alternately to the sugar and egg mixture and mix by hand.
Add buttermilk and dry ingredients alternately to the sugar and egg mixture and mix by hand.
Note:
Zest the orange and then juice it.
Reserve 3 T of zest and 3 T juice for the frosting.
Add any leftover grated orange rind and orange juice to the buttermilk (if there is more than 3 T of either from one orange).
Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet
Zest the orange and then juice it.
Reserve 3 T of zest and 3 T juice for the frosting.
Add any leftover grated orange rind and orange juice to the buttermilk (if there is more than 3 T of either from one orange).
Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet
Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
FROSTING: Mix all together
1/2 cup soft butter
2 tsp vanilla
3 T orange juice
3 T chopped orange rind
3 cups powdered sugar
These freeze very well. I usually freeze them on a cookie sheet after they are frosted. Then I stack them in large containers with wax paper between the frozen layers.
If you would like links to more cookie recipes CLICK HERE to go to Carol's blog, Just Let Me Quilt or click the links below.
December 5
December 6
December 7

As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. [Proverbs 23:7]

19 comments:
Hi Rita,
I am out visiting all the cookie exchangers for today! This recipe looks delicious - YUM! I'm going to PIN it for future reference. ~smile~ Roseanne
Yum! those sound delicious! I am not a fan of icing so I will omit that and make a small dish of it for those that cannot live without it! like my wee-one grand daughter. she would much prefer ONLY the icing!
Great recipe Rita, thanks for sharing!
These sound yummy, thanks so much for sharing with us today!
Your cookies sound great. I love orange flavored cookies.
Oh yum! I haven’t had orang glazed cookies in forever! What a perfect Christmas cookie, especially in sunny Arizona. I’m an Arizona girl too! I’m going to have to make a batch this Christmas Thank you for sharing the recipe Rita!❤️
Thank you for sharing your recipe.
Oh, yum! Your orange cookies sound so delicious and look beautiful, too. I love recipes that can be frozen! Thanks for playing along and sharing your wonderful recipe!
I love orange flavors, so this recipe sounds great!
What a great recipe. I am pinning this one to try later. Thanks for the recipe!
Orange cookies are the best - I have to try these. Thanks!
These look good.
Sounds fabulous...but I question freezing??? Is there really enough time to freeze them before they disappear from the pan? LOL!
Have a very Merry Christmas!
These cookies sound yummy! I will have fresh oranges, right from the tree, soon so I will be able to make some of them. I don't think there will be any left for freezing. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
These sound wonderful. Definitly worth a try. Thanks for sharing with us.
I love orange and these cookies look delicious. A bit of orange rid on the top gives them such a special appearance. Thanks for the recipe. Merry Christmas
Thank you for the cookie recipe - they look and sound yummy!! Being good in the freezer is a bonus!! Merry Christmas!
Yummy Thanks.
I don't think I've ever had orange cookies - sound yummy. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment