Saturday, January 3, 2015

Recipe Black Eyed Pea Soup

I didn't take a picture before we ate it but this could be my go to recipe for our annual episode of "We Should Eat Black Eyed Peas on New Year's Day for good luck".  I never really thought they were particularly tasty but I was always able to eat them once a year.

I saw a recipe on Kalyn's blog for Hopping John Soup - Black-eyed Pea, Ham, and Collard Green Soup (CLICK HERE) and I was inspired to do something different with our 2 cans of black eyed peas this year.

Here is the recipe that we loved:

Black Eyed Pea Soup
 
1 T dehydrated onion flakes
1 large celery stalk,  finely chopped
1 medium carrot, finely chopped
1/2 tsp.garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
5 cups homemade chicken stock
(or use water with chicken soup base or canned chicken broth)
2 cans black-eyed peas
2 large potatoes, diced
Fresh kale, chopped (about 2 cups when measured after chopping) 


Combine everything except potatoes and kale in large stockpot and bring to a boil.  
Meanwhile, peel and chop potatoes.  
Add potatoes to boiling soup - reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Rinse kale, remove leaves from stalks.  Chop kale and add to soup that has been simmered for an hour.
Continue simmering soup for another hour.

Makes about 8 servings (or just 4 servings, if you are really hungry and it's really cold outside)


If you try it, I hope you like it as much as we did.



As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. [Proverbs 23:7]

1 comment:

rosey175 said...

I have never heard of eating black eyed peas for good luck until very recently! I'll take any excuse to eat them though; I love them. :)